Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Secret Life of a Very Bored University Student

Long breaks during the middle of day suck. Especially when you have nobody to talk to, and you forgot your lunch. Again. It's a downward spiral of loneliness and hunger, ending only when I fork out a small sum of money to satisfy the rumblings of my stomach. It's also highly upsetting to watch five dollars go down the drain every day I'm at University due to my abject stupidity.

 Armed with a totally healthy meal (hot chips) I found a nice tree in the Great Court against which I could prop myself and watch the world go by.


There's a large number of very interesting people who frequent the Great Court, and I saw none of them, because it rained as soon as I sat down. That was mildly irritating.


It went something like this.

However, I quickly relocated to a drier location, and settled in to cram handfuls of chips into my mouth, an act I achieved with gusto. It was here though, that I encountered my first interesting people of the day. A young couple, no doubt in the throes of true love, were spoon-feeding each other from what appeared to be a large vat of yoghurt. This raised two major questions for me. Firstly, why aren't they using the spoons to feed themselves? And secondly, why do they have so much yoghurt?! Thankfully, the rain let up before too long, and I was able to escape the dairy duo.

With three hours left until my next lecture, I decided to wander along a path I had yet to travel, partly to increase my knowledge of the campus, and partly because I was really, REALLY bored. This trip took me to the UQ Lakes, where I stumbled across what can only be described as an odd sight.

Not quite this odd. But still.
Down by the large lake with the large fountain, there was a man in business attire down on hands and knees, attempting to feed a particularly insane-looking goose. He was also trying to stroke the goose's head and neck. I was going to stop and take a photo to include in this growing gallery, but both man and goose seemed to be the "I will eat your phone as soon as it enters my field of vision" kind of crazy, so I decided to let the opportunity pass. Sad, I know.

I did encounter other interesting people, but the yoghurt lovers and gooseman pretty much topped the list. The other weird people I saw simply didn't make the grade. That said, I did see/meet a lot of nice, friendly people as well! It's just more fun to talk about the strange ones.

In that regard, if anyone encountered 'interesting people' during their time at University or work or wherever and feels like sharing the experience, feel free to leave a comment or drop me an email. I enjoy laughing!

With that, it's time to end this particular chapter. But the story goes on!

Have a faaaaaaaaantastic week!

1 comment:

  1. I also encountered the suited gooseman...he truly raised the bar.

    ReplyDelete