Tuesday 13 March 2012

JOUR1111 Lecture 1: And on the first day...

I made a promise on Sunday night, and I broke it. I really should consider politics. I bet they'd love me - I'm not scandalous enough to make the front page...YET. 24 hours later than intended, this evening marks the start of some totally serious business. This post is a recap of the first week of JOUR1111.

Week 1

Like all of my lectures in the first week, this was mostly a general introduction to the course. Upon acquiring an invaluable copy of the course guide I took my seat, eager to learn about the exciting nature of Journalism! Something like that, at any rate. Three weeks is a long time to remember the exact details, so I'm using poetic license with my own memories.

However, something I distinctly remember having actually happened was Bruce's assertion that '[I] am the Journalist'. This was a defining moment for me, as up to that point I had merely considered myself a student, that being a journalist would happen when I graduated and got a job in the industry, assuming that I plan to in the future. This was the first time I had actually entertained the idea of being a journalist NOW.

I also recall tantalising hints being dropped regarding future lectures, namely a brief mention of the 'current challenges' facing journalism as it exists today, including (but not limited to) public perception and advances in technology.

Finally, I recall being asked, 'Why study Journalism?' The only answer I could think of at the time was, 'Well, why not?' Three weeks down the track, I can't think of a better answer. To be honest, I'm not sure I need to. There's a whole heap of stories out there; why shouldn't I be in a position to share them with the world?

With that, the lecture was over and I set off for home, eager to procrastinate on my various readings for that week.

2 comments:

  1. I just skipped to the bottom after I got to the week 3 part...
    Do I still get an applause? haha.

    ReplyDelete